Hahaha. I am having a relaxing Friday night, I turned the tv on and one of the channels has a Top of the Pops on from 1988. Top of the Pops was, you got it, the UK’s weekly show of chart music. It gradually lost popularity and finished, I think, in the mid-nineties, but in 1988 was still going strong.
Memories galore. Any of you remember these?
- DJ Gary Davies doing the presenting, for a start! Whatever happened to him?
- Pet Shop Boys – god they were so depressing! Always on my Mind.
- Belinda Carlisle. Remember her? I had that one – on cassette. Heaven is a Place on Earth
- Someone who thinks we’re alone now. Was that Tiffany?
- Ooooooh, Kylie. Kylie is about my age, so that would have made her this raunchy 20-year-old (just as I was 🙂), lying in a bath covered with soap suds. Hadn’t that already been done? I was going to say gorgeous but all I can think of is hair. She should be so Lucky!
- Whitney Houston, of course. Warble, warble, warble. One Moment in Time.
- Enya. Actually she’s a decent Irish artist and I have listened to her since then. Orinoco Flow.
- The mighty Aswad. Yes, this must have been 1988, this is imprinted on my brain.
- A brilliant track that I haven’t heard for years. It had an excellent video, too. I have got to feature this in Song Lyric Sunday one day. Fairground Attraction, Perfect. But what is she wearing????
- Love Changes Everything by Climie Fisher. Passed me by, but #2 so obviously did pretty well.
- Bros. When will I be famous? When will they be quiet?
- Bobby McFerrin must have re-released Don’t Worry, Be Happy. Class!
- Some anonymous boy band, which shall remain anonymous.
- It is the bloody Pet Shop Boys again. It is just called Heart. That guy on the keyboard must be good, he’s playing it with one finger!
- And lastly, Cliff, Miseltoe and Whine.
So that was 1988. Anybody wishing to go back to that time, be careful what you wish for!